- A patron of Mr WIlkinson’s pub falsely informed Mrs WIlkinson that Mr Wilkinson had suffered severe physcial injury, and that see should go and see him immediately
- Mrs Wilkinson suffered severe mental injury as a result of this news
- Could there be recovery for intentionally inflicted mental injury?
- Yes, recovery allowed
- Although the law on battery and assault did not apply, the tort of intentional infliction of mental shock was established with 3 conditions which must be satisfied
- There must be extreme conduct
- The must be an intent to cause psychological harm
- Mental injury must result from the conduct