- The victim was stabbed by Smith, before being carried to a nearby hospital by his drunken friends
- En route to the hospital, he was dropped several times
- At the hospital, he was negligently treated
- Did Smith cause the death of the victim?
- At the time of death, the stabbing was still an operating and substantial cause of death
- The victim’s decreased chance of survival due to the subsequent acts of the friends and the hospital was irrelevant
- Neither of the two subsequent acts was a supervening act