- The council needed one of their buildings demolishing
- A contractor bought in a sub-contractor, against the wishes of the council
- One of the sub-contractor’s employees was injured
- Could the council be held liable?
- The sub-contractor had undertook an unsafe system of work, for which the council could not be held liable; not in the scope of occupiers’ liability
- A major contractor with a significant degree of control over the site may be classed as an occupier
- Such an occupier may invite others onto the premises contrary to the permission of the usual occupier