- The claimant engaged in significant effort in obtaining planning permission towards contractual negotiations
- Could the other negotiating party be estopped from not completing a contract?
- No proprietary estoppel as the the claimant was well aware that he did not have an enforceable contract in place
- Estoppel does not apply as easily to experienced businessmen
- Reliance was not reasonable
- A quantum meruit claim was available to compensate for efforts expended in obtaining planning permission, however