Universe Tankships of Monrovia v International Transport Workers Federation 
- The International Transport Workers Federation blacked the claimant’s ship and prevented them from leaving dock unless they signed new contracts for their employees
- Had the new contracts been signed under duress
- Yes, claim allowed, contracts were void
- There are 2 elements to duress: pressure amounting to compulsion of will and illegitimacy of that pressure
- No other practical choice constituted duress, even though signed contracts of own accord, therefore ‘consented’
Posted in Contract Law Revision Notes.
This page was last updated on 19th January 2014