The Choko Star 
Industrie Chimiche Italia Centrale and Cerealfin SA v Alexander G Tsavliris & Sons Maritime Co (The Choko Star) 
- The master of a ship commissioned salvors from Europe to save his ship, which was sinking in an Argentinian river
- Was the master authorised to conclude salvage contracts on behalf cargo owners out of necessity?
- Yes, but no necessity on facts
- Agents may make contracts out of necessity if it can be stablished that it was a true necessity
- The agent (master) should have utilised local salvors who had knowledge of the local river
Posted in Commercial Law Revision Notes.
This page was last updated on 14th January 2015