R v Pittwood (1902)
- The defendant was under a contractual obligation to open and close level crossing gates at specified times
- He negligently failed to close the gate, resulting in the death of a horse and its cart occupant
- Did the defendant cause the death of the occupant?
- The defendant was under a duty to open the gate, which was breached
- As a direct result of the breach, the presence of the occupant was allowed, and therefore his death
Posted in Criminal Law Revision Notes.
This page was last updated on 24th December 2014