R v Pagett 
- Upon the police raiding his house, Pagett, the defendant, used his girlfriend as a human shield as her shot downstairs towards the police
- The the darkness, the police returned fire, killing Pagett’s girlfriend
- The police officer was acting in self-defence
- Did Pagett cause the death of his girlfriend?
- Although the police fired the shot(s) which factually caused death, it was a shot fired for the purposed of self-preservation, which can be distinguished from a voluntary act and therefore a foreseeable consequence
Posted in Criminal Law Revision Notes.
This page was last updated on 24th December 2014