Case C-14/83 Von Colson 
- Von Colson, a female German national, was refused employment at a prison on the basis of her gender, contrary to the Equal Treatment Directive
- The employer was prepared to offer compensation only for travel costs in attending the interview
- Could substantial compensation be awarded?
- It is a national court’s duty to interpret national law in accordance with EU law
- Von Colson should be offered a substantial remedy
- This interpretative duty may give rise to directives being (almost) horizontally effective
Posted in EU Law Revision Notes.
This page was last updated on 30th April 2015
© 2019 Webstroke Law - Terms