Case 186/87 Cowan v Trésor 
- Cowan, a citizen of the UK, was mugged whilst on holiday in France (exercising his EU free movement rights)
- French law only permitting criminal compensation to be given to French nationals
- Was this in breach of EU law?
- In order to not breach the concept of the free movement of services, Cowan should be treated like every other (french) citizen
- This case recognised the principle of non-discrimination
Posted in EU Law Revision Notes.
This page was last updated on 30th April 2015