- Bosman, a Belgian football player, wished to move to a French team
- The Belgian football club required a transfer fee from the French club, which the French club would not pay
- Following the failed transfer, Bosman’s wages and standing within the club reduced
- Did the transfer fee requirement hinder Bosman’s right to free movement between EU Member States?
- Article 45 TFEU providing for the free movement of persons within the EU was breached
- Football players throughout the EU may now freely transfer between countries (within the EU) upon the expiry of their contracts