Case C-158/96 Raymond Kohll v Union des caisses de maladie 
- Kohll, from Luxembourg, sought reimbursement for medical treatment provided to his daughter by an orthodontist whilst in German
- Kohll had not been authorised to receive reimbursement in advance of the treatment
- Could Kohll claim reimbursement upon his return to Luxembourg?
- Preventing reimbursement would deter citizens of the European Union from approaching foreign medical services providers
- Although the treatment may not have been so urgent that it could not have been provided in Luxembourg, the reimbursement would not significantly affect the financing of Luxembourg’s social security system